WHY WE'RE NUTS ABOUT COCONUTS
Coconuts are truly one of the greatest gifts of the planet. In sanskrit the coconut palm is known as 'kalpa vriksha', meaning 'the tree that supplies all that is needed to live'. They are highly nutritious, a rich source of vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 as well as minerals like iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous.
The saturated fats found in coconuts are in the form of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) - they're the good ones! Your body can't actually store MCFAs as fat, but they have a host of other beneficial effects. MCFAs stimulate the thyroid and with regular consumption can increase your metabolism. They can also help to normalise levels of 'bad' cholesterol by promoting its conversion into pregnenolone. All very science-y, we know, but the important thing is that pregnenolene counters fatigue, enhances memory and has a beautifying effect through improving circulation. And If all that wasn't enough, coconut fats also have antimicrobial and antifungal properties, great for maintaining optimum health. Sorry, did we hear you say "superfood"?!
WE ONLY USE COCONUT SUGAR TO SWEETEN OUR ICE CREAM. HERE'S WHY...
Coconut sugar is made from the flowers coconut palm tree. It's extracted by cutting into the flower buds and draining the sap. This sweet nectar is then gently heated until the water has evaporated. The result is a beautiful, unrefined sugar that's low in fructose and has a wonderful, deep caramel flavour. It has a much lower GI than refined white sugar, it's completely natural and also contains minerals and other nutrients. So yes, it's still sugar. But it's about as good as sugar gets.
10 BENEFITS OF COCONUT SUGAR
- It contains trace amounts of vitamins B and C which help to support your immune system, as well as supporting healthy joints and skin.
- It contains minerals such as iron, zinc and calcium which have many health benefits including stronger bones.
- It contains more than 400 times more electrolytes than regular sugar; potassium, magnesium and sodium are all essential for regulating your bodies water content.
- It contains antioxidants as well as phytonutrients and healthy short chain fatty acids which are known to help prevent high cholesterol and heart disease.
- It has a low GI - measuring 35 on the glycaemic scale. This means that it causes less of a blood sugar spike and subsequent crash than normal white sugar, and makes it a better alternative for diabetics.
- It contains inulin - a type of dietary fibre - that helps to keep your gut healthy, prevent colon cancer, and balances blood sugar levels.
- It only contains 75% sucrose (unlike regular white sugar which is 100% sucrose); the remaining 25% of its composition includes valuable nutrients and fibre.
- Unlike agave nectar and high-fructose corn syrup, coconut sugar only contains only small amounts of fructose. Fructose is a type of sugar which quickly turns to fat in the body, unless in its fresh fruit form (which contains fibre). Agave nectar contains 90% fructose and high-fructose corn syrup contains 55% fructose.
- It is 100% natural, contains no artificial ingredients and has not been chemically altered in any way.
- It has been named the most ‘sustainable sweetener’ by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization. The coconut palm need minimal amounts of water and they produce fruit for about 20 years.